![]() |
|
dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - Printable Version +- Misfit Squirrels Forums (https://misfitsquirrels.com/forums) +-- Forum: Misfit Contests & Collaborations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10) +--- Forum: Squirrel Games (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12) +--- Thread: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H (/showthread.php?tid=202) Pages: 1 2 |
dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - ElectronChaser - 06-01-2010 06:36 PM The new theme for this competition is a somewhat old one (been used on Fark at least once), but there is always tons of room to play with. Modern Technology in ancient times Image must contain some form of technology from the no earlier than the 1990's. Ancient time should be no later than 1000A.D. Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - GeeGee - 06-05-2010 05:24 AM I am really sorry for this. I should have never thrown my hat into the ring if I didn't have time to participate, but I honestly thought I'd lose right out of the gate, so I wasn't expecting to be in the mix this long! I'm not overly proud of this, but I needed to post something! :offtheair: Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - GeeGee - 06-05-2010 05:24 AM
Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - dsclink - 06-05-2010 06:46 AM
Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - dsclink - 06-05-2010 07:38 AM OK GeeGee, voted for ya. Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - GeeGee - 06-05-2010 02:50 PM Ha ha! :laughroll: That's awesome! I voted for you as well! Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - verchad - 06-06-2010 02:03 AM very nice, dsclink Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - johnebones - 06-07-2010 11:44 PM dsclink beautifully done Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - GeeGee - 06-09-2010 03:20 PM Congrats, Mr. Clink, on a well deserved win! :notworthy: May your reign at the top be a long one! Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - ElectronChaser - 06-10-2010 03:35 AM I suppose this means Mr. Clink and I need a person to step up and provide a theme? Let's try and get somebody who hasn't done one of these yet. Don't be intimidated, throw out your challenge and have some fun. Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - dsclink - 06-10-2010 04:49 AM Be aware, my status at the moment is somewhat iffy. I am back on the rig in India and we are preparing to move it. Once we start the process of moving I will be out of communication until we have set it on the new location. This is because our communications are through a satellite link and the dish has to be aligned manually. Not possible while bobbing around floating. We are going to do some underwater inspections during this time so if everything works favorably I won't be back in contact for a week. Unfortunately things don't look favorable. It is the monsoon season here. The rig has limitations for going into or coming out of the water. If the sea state is not calm we cannot do it. It causes too much stress on the rig. So we have to wait for a good weather window to go into the water. If we get that then we have to wait for another good weather window a week or so later to come out of the water. It is possible that we won't have that second window until September, which would mean I wouldn't be able to get back in touch until after I get back home in July. It is also possible that we won't get the first weather window for a while so I may be able to complete an image for our contest before going out of communication. Hard to say at this point. As soon as we get someone to set up the challenge I'll start working on something in my (limited) free time and hopefully have something. Another possibility is that we'll forgo the underwater inspections and go straight to new location which would mean I'd only be out of comm for a couple of days. I'll update as I can. We should go ahead with a new challenge for now and see how things go on my end. So, we need someone to jump in and give us a theme. I'm looking forward to it EC. And GeeGee, I know that you were very busy and didn't have much time to put into this. Good image even so. We can do this again sometime when things settle down for you. Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - ElectronChaser - 06-10-2010 04:58 AM dsclink Wrote:Once we start the process of moving I will be out of communication until we have set it on the new location. This is because our communications are through a satellite link and the dish has to be aligned manually. Perfect...then I won't lose this time! P.S. I have been tinkering with a automated dish pointing system for my brothers RV (yes I know they sell them, but thats not the point). It could easily be adapted for larger antennas. What do you guys have on the rig? something like a 1 meter I would assume??? Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - VOTING LIVE - dsclink - 06-10-2010 11:10 AM About a 2 meter. An automatic alignment system wouldn't be worth the expense in our situation. Since we would be floating not only would it have to maintain the correct azimuth, but it would also have to compensate for the pitch and roll due to wave action to maintain elevation. Then there is the problem of interferences from our cranes and legs. There is only about 120° that the dish can see through before hitting the interferences. What we do to account for that is change the dish mount to a different part of the rig depending on our bow heading. There are 3 different locations we can use. That's fine when we are stationary, but not so much for floating around. I'm sure there are methods and systems available that are probably used on the big floating rigs (like the Deepwater Horizon was), but not worth the cost for small old junky rigs like mine. By the way, we've run into some problems that are delaying us for the time being. It looks like it will be at least 3 days before we'll be ready to move. And then the weather could delay that even further. Have to wait and see. Edit: By the way, if you are curious we use RigNet for our communications. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rig.net">http://www.rig.net</a><!-- m --> We have several telephone lines using VOIP with Singapore/Houston numbers for each line. Also our internet connection. Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - impishimpi - 06-14-2010 10:17 AM If nobody else wants to step in, I don't mind giving it another go... Re: dsclink vs. GeeGee - NEW Theme H2H - dsclink - 06-14-2010 10:49 AM Perfect Mr. shimpi Imp! |